Date:      29 Apr 2000 02:32:49 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        kdulzo@gerp.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xpm & XFree86-4

 * From: Kevin and Elizabeth Dulzo <edulzo@enteract.com>

Hi Kevin and Elizabeth!

 * 	I have currently become a little irritated with the dependency
 * not found issue when using Xpm based ports with XFree86-4.  As well,
 * a grep xpm /usr/ports/INDEX | wc shows 413 ports that require Xpm
 * libraries.

What is the "dependency not found issue when using Xpm based ports
with XFree86-4"?

 * 	Would it seem prudent to add a USE_XPM to bsd.port.mk to make this
 * easier?  As well, it would then seem to have a make.conf entry for those
 * of us who do use XFree86-4 for something like USE_XFREE86_4 which both
 * deals with depending on /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 and eliminates xpm
 * specific dependencies when using XFree86-4.

We're planning to switch to XFree86-4 for everything except for
servers soon.  So hopefully this will be a non-issue.

 * 	Anyone ever note that comment above the USE_XLIB line that doesn't
 * make any sense in regards to the actual effect the variables have????

If you are talking about these lines:

 *  # Don't try to build XFree86 even if ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS is defined --
 *  # it's just too big....

that's exactly what it means.  I doubt people with
ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS would appreciate all their USE_XLIB ports
suddenly taking hours to compile....

Satoshi