Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:20:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Tim <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: eXperimental bandwidth delay product code (was Re: Network performance tuning.)

> Cool!  We were just commenting that it's too bad dummynet/ALTQ really
> couldn't help the interactive response for us dial-up users.  Anyway, I

i haven't seen the beginning of the thread but surely both altq
and dummynet can help, with the CBQ/WFQ support.

In the case of dummynet, you can pace incoming traffic as well,
at your endpoint. This means you act after the bottleneck,
but the effect is that this way
you will delay acks, and so slow down the connection eating a lot of
bandwidth, and in the steady state this keeps the queue very
short even before the bottleneck.
Much like what products like packeteer do.

	cheers
	luigi