Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 20:01:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        bugs@ns1.win.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too many open files

Michael Smith stands accused of saying:

> Mark Hittinger stands accused of saying:
> > I still wonder if some other parameter is being consumed other that
> > file descriptors.  It would be nice if we could get some sort of "lsof"
> > port or some system call to spew a list of open file descriptors out
> > in a readable dump file.
>
> This actually sounds awfully familiar; I blew up a 2.0 box using ncftp (as
> a user) attempting to mput a fairly large directory (the 2.0.5 src
> distribution, actually 8) in passive mode to an FTP server that doesn't
> support passive mode.  ncftp not being overly bright tried & failed once
> for each file; the first many just gave 'passive mode refused' errrors,
> but then there were some errors being reported by socket() (no free file
> handles or similar), followed by a trap 12.

I've just tested & verified that this was a 2.0 problem.  Old ncftp's
(1.8.3 in this case) had a FD leak under this situation; running under 2.0.5
fails to kill the system, and the newer ncftp doesn't have the problem
at all (it swaps to non-passive mode after the first failure)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[