Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:26:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
Cc:        Pilo Phlat <dono@async.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard (PS/2?) problems (follow-up)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Eric Hodel wrote:

> Pilo Phlat wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I've tried different types of keyboards, including the ones mentioned
> > below, a standard 104-key "win95 design" keyboard, Microsoft Natural
> > Elite(TM)(R)(SM)(C) Microsoft, and some others. With all of them, I've had
> > the same problems with the console locking up. I found out that after a
> > lot (not sure how many exactly) of switching vty's, this happens, and
> > locks up in mid-switch (using alt-Fkey). Is this a bug with the syscons
> > driver?
> >
> > Please let me know if any of you have had this problem before. Thanks.
>
> Occasionally I will have to hit the numlock button a couple time to type
> anything (the first time it beeps, the second time it toggles) but I haven't
> noticed this in conjunction with switching consoles.

I've had similar problems. It's the mouse - ps/2 variety - for me.

Moving the mouse in the root window while holding down the control
key (to pop up a menu) will freeze it up tight. The other situation is
during an edit session with Xemacs. During those sessions and if the
xconsole window is visible, I see errors indicating psmintr breaking
lock or losing sync. I do not remember the exact error. I've rebuilt
the kernel there is a variable that needs to be set in 2.2.1R, anyway:

	options		PSM_CHECKSYNC

You might want to check the documentation for your version to see
if this might help. As far as I know this is a maybe.

I've given up and run a serial mouse with no problems.

John