Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 14:55:21 -0500
From:      MP <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   too many open files problem

Greetings,

I'm running into a problem with FreeBSD 2.2.6.

I have two Class C's on my network and recently a hacker tunnelled into the
backbone and masqueraded under an unused IP in my subnet to do spamming.
As a result, I opted to bind all my IP addresses - used or not, to one of
my servers.  So I have about 400 or so IPs bound.  When I boot FBSD 2.2.6,
everything works, but if I -HUP the nameserver, I get this in the messages
log:

May 17 14:29:37 mysys named[1266]: starting.  named 4.9.6-REL Wed Mar 25
00:29:
44 GMT 1998     jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named
May 17 14:29:37 mysys named[1266]: fcntl(dfd, F_DUPFD, 20): Too many open
files
May 17 14:29:37 mysys last message repeated 15 times

The hard limit on open files is set at 360 - this may be inadequate since I
may have up to 512 domains mapped to my server.  I assume there is a
relationship between these two concepts.

In scanning the archives on FreeBSD.org, none of the solutions worked for
me (regarding setting ulimit ...) - and I didn't try anything regarding
compiling the kernel - I'm using the generic compilation right now.

What are my options?  Do I need to tune the kernel to solve this problem?

If so, would someone be so kind as to walk me through this process?
Initial examinations showed a value OPEN_MAX, but it simply referenced some
header file that I could not find on the system - I haven't done enough
research yet to figure out what to do.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - please direct e-mail to: mp@icorp.net

Thanks very much!!