Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 1995 17:58:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's new floppy time, folks!

: All he needs is to boot with '-c' :-)

True.  However, what if I don't want the machine on the network while
I upgrade (to preclude the accidental possibility that mail will go to
it)?  I could either physically disconnect it, or just boot it in a
way that I know ed0 won't be configured.

What if I know that I'll have a ed0 card tomorrow, but want to finish
installing and configuring tonight?

What if I have a driver for xp0, but that isn't in the GENERIC kernel
yet?

What if I didn't notice that ed0 wasn't configured until I've entered
other configuration data and I don't want to take the time out for a
reboot?

I think there are good reasons to allow the configuration of devices
that aren't configured, even if I could, in my case, solve it by
rebooting.

Rebooting is a work around for this short coming, imho, it is not a
solution.

Warner