Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:47:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@asstdc.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au
Subject:   RISCom/8 driver + NFS - experiences in Montreal

Just following up on some of the experiences from this year's ISOC
developing country workshops in Montreal ..

i) The RISCom/8 driver worked fine off the 2.1R CD but, when the kernel was
upgraded to -stable, the kernel complained (lots!) about the mass depletion
and subsequent non-availability of clists. This rendered it unusable for
coursework. Unfortunately, I couldn't spend long enough to identify the
actual cause of the problem (spl changes inviting race condition ?) in the 5
or so days available.

ii) The upgrade to -stable was necessitated by a show-stopper in 2.1R's NFS
and, even then, some serious performance problems persisted. Initially, we
tried to load 30 machines concurrently over NFS (bootp then "tar xvf") and,
despite a useful patch from Paul Traina, it was never actually possible to
keep the ethernet saturated .. everything would back off .. long timeouts
and a couple of very long nights :-(. Reducing the number of concurrent
loads to the student machines helped slightly but did not cure the problem
(nor did installing ether switches instead of hubs). Switching to NFS over
TCP didn't help or reducing the read and write sizes to 1kb. The machine
from which the loads were done was dual-homed for logistic reasons if that
holds any clues.

Also required for the classes (and now in -stable) was the multicast support
for the 3C509 (thanks for the timing on this one!) .. OSPF with gated was
taught in place of RIP (although it was mentioned in the context of "you
don't want to do this" :-)). This could not have been done on 2.1R. Some
"idiosyncracies" with gated were noted and taken on-board by the
maintainers.

Next year, it seems that we can dispense with BSDI totally now that John
Hay's N2 driver is into -current and will hopefully propagate into the main
distribution before next year.

Overall, from my perspective, the whole exercise was successful and both
students and instructors alike learned _lots_ from the experience ..

Whilst only being a humble instructor, I'd also like to thank Jordon and his
organisation publicly for their support in ensuring that each student (99
countries were represented amongst them) took home a FreeBSD CD. I'd like to
use it again next year and have suggested so on the workshop admin list,

Many, many thanks,

	michael