Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:39:29 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   does HAVE_FPU really work?

howdy,

Intrigued by the recent discussion of the math library
and HAVE_FPU, I defined HAVE_FPU in /etc/make.conf
then proceeded to /usr/src/lib/msun, to rebuild
the library:

(ttyp1@jake)# pwd
/usr/src/lib/msun
(ttyp1@jake)# make
cc -O -D_MULTI_LIBM -D_POSIX_MODE -D_IEEE_LIBM -c /usr/src/lib/msun/src/e_acos.
c -o e_acos.o

shouldn't it be compiling /usr/src/lib/msun/i387/e_acos.S ???

Oh, well, make does a lot of stuff under the hood, so I proceeded to let
it compile, but the resultant library libm.so.2.0, has exactly the
same md5 as without HAVE_FPU defined --???

then trying `make -ds e_acos.o', I get amongst other stuff:

SuffFindDeps (e_acos.o)
        trying e_acos.s...not there
        trying e_acos.S...got it
        using existing source /usr/src/lib/msun/src/e_acos.c
        applying .c -> .o to "e_acos.o"

looks like it finds e_acos.S, but uses e_acos.c anyway.

does anybody else have this problem, or is it a result of one of my
local hacks?

thanks,
eric.

--