Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:26:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: location of discussion of lives

--------------enigAC1B3B6131086BAEE3239EE7

leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net wrote:
> Good morning, dear FreeBSD enthusiast.  Can you help me to negotiate
> the FreeBSD website?  I am trying to find a general discussion about
> "livefs."   I have not been successful at entering the correct
> sequence of search terms to find a general discussion about this
> topic.  I would like to know what this feature does, and the
> situation in which a user would wish to install it.  My question
> would refer to either release 7 or release 8.  Thanks for any and all
> enlightenment.  Yours truly, Lee S.

'livefs' is not something I recognize that you can install like
that.  In fact, it's not something I heard of in exactly those terms.

About the closest thing is 'live filesystem' -- which is usually used
in the context of the .iso CD/DVD images used for installation.  In this
sense, the installation media contain a ready-to-run copy of FreeBSD, and=

it's 'live' in the sense that you can just boot up from one of the CDs an=
drop into a fully function copy of the OS running from the CD.  ie. it's
an ordinary filesystem, but presented so that it can be used "live".  To =
do
this, boot from FreeBSD installation media, and select 'Fixit' mode from
the main menu, then (I think) 'Live Filesystem' from the next screen.

Note that although this is a fully functional FreeBSD system, it's *just*=

FreeBSD -- no add-on software.  Which means: no X windows, no graphical
applications.  You will need to be capable with a Unix CLI to use it.

If you want a Live-CD with all the glitz and windowing stuff, then search=

for Freesbie -- the projects main page should be at http://www.freesbie.o=
rg/
but it seems to have been down for some months.  You can still get the
disk images though. eg:

http://ftp.uk.freesbie.org/sites/ftp.freesbie.org/pub/FreeSBIE/

	Cheers,

	Matthew