Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:06:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting PPP netmask! HOW!

Ollivier Robert writes:
> According to dennis:
> > market. I believe that the netmask is meaningless on a PTP interface,
> > so even if you get it to display the way you want  you won't have
> > achieved much of anything.
>
> That's not true.

No, Dennis is correct.  PPP (and all Point-Point links) use host
routing, not subnet routing.

You can use subnet routing over PTP links, but that's irrelevant of the
netmask on the PPP link.

> It would be impossible to send packets to my ethernet and to the Internet
> thru the PPP at the same time if subnets were not handled correctly by
> "pppd" (kernel PPP).

Why?  You simply setup the routing to send all traffic to each of the
subnets to the PPP host which lives on that network.

Nate