Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:22:18 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        scanner@jurai.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-question@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail IO problems

* Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com> [010205 14:05] wrote:

> Just tried both parameters....nada.
> I am desperately trying to work out a solution here...because this machine
> will be forced back to linux of i can;t find a way to improve the disk
> I/O. Checking on qmail queue patches maybe? Far as I know there is a
> big-to do patch on qmail's homesite....not sure if that will help but
> worth a shot...definately not looking forward to seeing linux again!

What happens when you run the fs in completely async mode?

What is the output of your 'mount' command?

How long did you run with those sysctl options?  Your reply came
very quickly, so I'm assuming not very long.

Are you absolutely sure there's no configuration difference between
when it was Linux and now that it's FreeBSD?  Hardware _and_ software
config (qmail) wise?

Is btw, is this mail being queued up to be sent?  Or is it mail
being queued up for sending?

Are you sure nothing went crazy during the changeover such
that the load is now a lot higher?

Such as: Are you sure your backup MX is not killing you trying to
deliver all the queued mail it got while the main MX was down?

Also, the disk isn't at 80-95%, those are transactions per-second.
So unless you're actually seeing a performance problem, then you
don't need to worry although that many tps is pretty high.

Also, please don't post to -hackers and -questions.  A question
should be sent to either, not both.