Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 00:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Printing Manpages

I want to print out some long manpages. I know how to convert a
manpage to Postscript and print it quite easily,

% man -t topic | lpr

Where 'topic' is the page of choice.

However, I'd like to print two columns on a page (two manpage pages
per page of paper). I know of a kind of ugly work around,

% gunzip -c /usr/share/man/man1/topic.1.gz | groff -man -Tascii | enscript -2r

But that is an ugly command line and the output is not too pretty
either (it works, but unless enscript gets some tweaking, page breaks
and other things are off).

Anyone have a better way to convert manpages to a pretty two column
per page form? Perhaps piping through gs somehow (the word 'column' is
not even on 'man gs' so I don't know where to start there)? Or maybe
enscript is the right tool with some different options?

Thanks for any help.