Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:12:39 -0500
From:      eculp@unixmania.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from an old athlon to a new 64 bit one.

Quoting RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:54:52 -0500
> eculp@unixmania.com wrote:
>
>> I have just stuck the disks from an old AMD Athlon(tm)  (1333.39-MHz
>> 686-class CPU) into a new box with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
>> 3800+ (2387.78-MHz 686-class CPU).  I am still building a daily
>> kernel with the old configuration and all is well.  Of course the
>> old configuration was/is i386.  Now I need to compile for 64 bit
>> apps.
>
> Are you sure about that? there are few compelling reasons to go to
> 64-bit, if you already have a working system. As far as performance is
> concerned, it may go either way.

Hi RW,

I probably didn't explain very well.  I'll try again.

The machines that I am updating are all athlon 32 bit machines, which =20
I have been doing a daily cvsup, buildworld, buildkernel, =20
installkernel, installworld and weekly portupgrade for several years.  =20
I just removed the disks from one that is running current and another =20
that is running RELENG, both still running kernels cvsup-ed and =20
compiled yesterday as well as userland.  The ports are also up to date.

What I am trying to do is compile an amd64 kernel, install it and see =20
what happens ;) I can always go back to the generic kernel compiled in =20
sys/i386.
If all were to go well, I would then recompile all my ports.

My problem is that when I created a sys/amd64/conf/AMD (just a generic =20
kernel with PF added) file and went to /usr/src and tried make =20
buildkernel KERNCONF=3DAMD it didn't find the kernel configuration file. =20
  I tried with paths, etc. and no luck.  I also see that my daily =20
compiles and installs have not changed userland programs.  =20
/usr/bin/file shows:

c++:              ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 =20
(FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Using c++ and an example.  I assume it should give a 64-bin executable =20
if it were.  This particular file was built and installed this morning.

The bottom line is that I'm totally ignorant as to this change and =20
have been doing some really dumb searches in that I haven't found what =20
I'm missing.  I'm convenced that it is something braindead simple but =20
I am still looking.

The good news is that both the current and RELENG boxes are working =20
well with all as before.

Again any suggestions or even flames with more information are appreciated.

ed