Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:18:34 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   making a port causes runaway make spawning

I'm using FreeBSD-2.2.7-STABLE. I cvsup'd a few days ago so
I'm pretty up to date.

I made /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl with no problems. But
when it came to doing a make install, during the bit where
the script says "Registering apache-1.3.2...." make
processes started to spawn like crazy.

I was up to approx 900 processes before RAM + swap gave out.
the make install gave me a couple of warnings from too, to
do with a non-zero exit status of something involving perl
(I confess to mucking around with /usr/share/mk/bsd.ports.mk
to try to get it to use perl5005_02).

The installation did seem to complete successfully though!

Anyone have any idea what may be happening (or what I should
check to find out)?

Cheers,
Adam.