Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 1998 00:07:54 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Soft updates inconsistencies...

I recently built a new kernel with the latest soft updates code, and
rebooted.  When I went to rm -rf /usr/obj/usr, It spontaneously
rebooted (after a while.)  It came up, fsck fixed it (after 1000's
of lines of fixes,) and then booted.  The thing is.. this happens
when you try to cd to the /usr/obj/usr:

friley585:/usr/obj/usr# ls
ls: src: Bad file descriptor

So.. I unmounted /usr, and fsck'd it, with the following errors.  They
are somewhat disturbing imho.. especially since fsck didn't fix them
the first time. :\

This is with a kernel built today, with SMP..

Chris

** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
/lost+found IS AN EXTRANEOUS HARD LINK TO DIRECTORY /lost+found/#14897

REMOVE? [yn] y

[ 3 more like this ]

** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
UNREF DIR  I=22272  OWNER=root MODE=40755
SIZE=512 MTIME=Mar  6 23:25 1998
RECONNECT? [yn] y

** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
LINK COUNT DIR I=58  OWNER=root MODE=40755
SIZE=512 MTIME=Mar  6 23:26 1998  COUNT -11 SHOULD BE 2
LINK COUNT INCREASING
UNEXPECTED SOFTDEP INCONSISTENCY

[lots and lots like this...]

--Chris Csanady