Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 2015 06:35:55 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade SRC built i386 8.4 to 10.1 questions

--n7Lj0ukKFj+YqP4g

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 02:22:31PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > 3. can I use source buildkernel + buildworld to migrate i386 8.4 to amd=
64 10.1
>=20
> here you want to move from a 32 bit install to a 64 bit install. I have
> done this using the buildkernel + buoldworld process, but I had to
> use a second instagllation....
>=20
> That actually worked fine, it was on FreeBSD 8 I belive, I havent tried it
> recently, but it did shift the machine from 32 bit to 64 bit smoothly.
> Obviously you should not have any poirts installed whilst ding this, as t=
hey
> will need to be reinstalled for the new architecture.

I wrote up what I did recently to migrate from stable/10 i386 to
stable/10 amd64 on a couple of machines here at home (including the
machine running the mutt process I'm using to read & write email).

The write-up may be found at
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/convert_i386_amd64.html>.

Note that:
* The machines did have ports installed at the time (but I did
  subsequently deinstall all ports and installed corresponding packages
  that I had built with poudriere).

* These machines -- as is the case with most FreeBSD machines that I
  set up -- have more than one bootable slice.  I find the increased
  flexibility this provides quite useful.

* I have continued to upgrade the machines (both FreeBSD base and
  poudriere-built packages) weekly since then (as has been my practice for
  some time).

Peace,
david
--=20
Those who would murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous coward=
s.

--n7Lj0ukKFj+YqP4g

--n7Lj0ukKFj+YqP4g--