Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 1995 13:31:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        vernick@CS.SunySB.EDU, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4GB Drives

> > Your thinking to simple, if the data was in the cache when the I/O
> > hit the drive it would immediatly go to data phase preventing me from
> > issuing another I/O to the next drive.  I actually _dont_ want the
> > drive to come on the bus yet.  I need to be able to get all transfer
> > operations to the drives before _any_ drive grabs the bus for a data
> > transfer.  This causes all drives to operate as a parallel unit.
> >
> > To simplify my problem with this I have gone to one drive per controller
> > for developement purposes, but am still trying to work the issue of how
> > do I make 4 drives on one bus all operate such that I can get the commands
> > to all 4 drives before anyone of them grabs the bus for what is a rather
> > long data transfer phase.
> you can issue a SCSI seek command first to all the devices
> then issue a read as a second round of commands
> that way they will all give you instant response on the read
>
> seek1
> seek2
> seek3
> read1-data-phase
> read2-data-phase
> read3-data-phase.
>
> seek is command 2B, though it is an optional command..

Well, I could do that if I was at the drive level, but my code sits
above the standard drivers, and actually just looks like another
disk driver to the upper layers.

I don't even know what scsi driver is doing the I/O as far as my code
is concerned.  The seek abstraction is missing from the layer between
me and the driver :-(.