Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 17:24:27 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>, Chris Picton <Chris.Picton@usko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hacking the root password

> > I have just taken over the administration of some unix systems.  There
> > is a machine, running as a secondary name server on FreeBSD for which no
> > record of the root password has been stored, so I can't log in to the
> > box.  If it was a linux machine, I would boot off a floppy with
> > init=/bin/bash and manually change the root password.  However, I have
> > never used FreeBSD before.  How would I go about getting/changing the
> > root password for this machine.
>
>you can reboot in single user mode and do the same thing.

Looking in from the outside on this question, I'm a bit confused... more
than one person has suggested to Chris to reboot the machine into single
user mode.

Typically wouldn't a new user to a system (unless otherwise set up by the
previous admin) need root access to issue "shutdown" or "reboot"
commands?  So, short of hitting the reset button or pulling the plug (and
living with the consequential damages) is there some other way to drop to
single user mode that I'm missing?

Thanks,
John