Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:06:00 +0800 (JST)
From:      Orlando Andico <orly@mozcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3com 3c905B support in 2.2.7-RELEASE

hello,

We're long-time Linux fans but we'd like to try FreeBSD. We're trying to
do a network install, however, the boot floppy does not recognize the 3com
3c905B card in our computer. This also happened with the Red Hat 5.1
install disk (the 905B is not the same as the 905) so we had to modify the
Red Hat bootkernel by downloading the latest driver from Donald Becker's
page and modifying the kernel image. However, being a BSD newbie, I don't
know how to do this for FreeBSD.

We'd like to try using FreeBSD because we have some rather large boxes
doing Squid proxy work (512MB memory) and I had this idea that FreeBSD
"works better" on big, heavily loaded boxes than Linux (or maybe, we just
don't know how to tweak /proc/sys/kernel on Linux!!)

Cheers,
Orly