Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:23:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <reso3w83@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passing options to a 'make install clean'

--------------enigEA3CB6B493D907BCDA68E794

Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> I never install anything that causes gcc to be rebuilt, if something
> needs that it stays off my machines!  Are you running an old FreeBSD
> version by any chance? If so maybe you would be better off
> going to FreeBSD 5-Stable which has a nice up to date gcc as part of the
> base system.

Unfortunately the OpenOffice port still insists on installing gcc-3.2
even on FreeBSD 5.3, where the standard compiler is gcc-3.4.2 based.
Not only that, but the port drags in some old Mozilla code which somehow
isn't listed as a distfile of any port but that portaudit throws a
wobbly about in the middle of compilation unless you tell it to
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES.  The OpenOffice port really is a bit of a
monster: non-gurus are strongly advised to install OpenOffice via packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd