Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:43:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Graham Lillico <graham_lillico@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Sizes

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Graham Lillico wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a File server it contains a 20gb disk which holds all the
> system stuff and two 40Gb disks raided together to hold user home
> directories, CVS repository, and the /usr/src and /usr/ports stuff so that I
> can make them avaliable to all servers via NFS.
>
> The problem I have is I have no idea what size to make the /usr/ports and
> /usr/src filesystems?  Does anyone have any idea on a good ideal size I know
> that /usr/ports is about 100Mb and that /usr/src is about 280Mb but how big
> are they likely to get during kernel compiles etc.  I did consider making
> the whole disk the /usr filesystem but at 80Gb this seemed a bit excessive.

i would suggest making a large /usr, and leaving /usr/ports and /usr/src
inside of it. when you're building the world from /usr/src, it drops
everything in to /usr/obj/.. which pretty much renders it useless to
separate it all out on to a separate filesystem.

what you could do, though, is set up a single partition to handle all the
build and source code. this can (if set up on different disks) improve the
amount of time it takes to do a make world.

the next issue, is that /usr/ports stores all the port source code in
/usr/ports/distfies. this alone can make /usr/ports bloat in some slightly
unimaginable ways.

> Also how may filesystem are you limited to per disk?  And is vinum a good
> option?

to the best of my knowledge, there is no upper limit on partitions per
disk.

i don't care for vinum myself. software RAID isn't going to be as reliable
as hardware. vinum just happens to be better than most versions of
software RAID.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan