Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:47:37 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TCP problems in 4.5-STABLE

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:36:20AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I've recently run into a problem that looks suspiciously similar to
> the one that Matt fixed at the beginning of December last year.
>
> The symptoms are that when transferring (using scp) a large file, the
> throughput drops to 10-20kBps.  The transfer starts out at full speed
> and will slow down after a random time and doesn't seem to recover.  I
> originally noticed the problem with -STABLE from around Xmas, but
> having just upgraded to -STABLE as of a couple of hours ago, the
> problem still exists.

I can also confirm these symptoms, but I am seeing them only while
connected from home via modem/PPP. It happens with scp, but also with
fetch, for example. However, I was not sure about the cause of the
problem, because we have a transparent proxy. But after reading your
message, now I think that this problem is related to FreeBSD; moreover, I
think that the problem manifests itself when both endpoints are running
FreeBSD. I also noticed the first symptoms about mid-December.

I am using the same machine (a laptop) at work (Ethernet) and at home
(modem/user-ppp). Everything seems to work fine while connected to the
LAN; the slowdown problems only happen while connected from home.

I'll try to do some tests using net/tcpflow.

--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **