Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:29:20 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are the ethernet drivers time dependent?

Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 28-Aug-99 Kris Kirby wrote:
> >  I'm going to be building at least three of these units, assuming I get
> >  the technical issues out of the way. So I'm looking at a cheap (hardware
> >  and software) way of getting data in and out of a PC with IP support and
> >  such. It just makes sense in my POV to use a NIC. It's capable of 10
> >  Mbps and has most of the circuitry for preparing data for transmission
> >  on it. If you will, it's a ready to use data pump.
>
> Ahh I see..
> So you're basically making a ethernet->radio type of thing?
>
> Or actually mangling the card itself?

Both. The problem is that you can't cram a signal moving at 10 Mbps
through a radio interface designed for 256K, even if it is bandwidth
limited to 256K. I'm hoping the 3C503 is ancient enough that I can slow
it down by yanking it's 20.0000 MHz crystal oscillator and feeding it a
lower speed signal. I'm going to walk them down to see just how far I
can go. After all, 2 Mbps isn't bad, it just requires a little more
work.

--
Kris Kirby
<kris@airnet.net>