Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:41:02 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Doug Love <dlove@umuc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: applications

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 11:01 am, Doug Love wrote:
> A friend recommends your OS over Linux for my home system.
> I've taken a 2 day Linux Admin course, and know just about that much.
> I don't see a quick answer on your webpages to my questions.
> Where can I find
>    Fortran
>     Basic
>     A Database similar to Access

There are no products similar to MS Access.  MS Access is a **desktop**
database with good connectivity and some **nifty** RAD/GUI tools.  Even with
Codeweaver's CrossOffice 2.0, however, MS Access has memory problems running
on Linux.  (This is from personal experience.)

Database servers include PostgreSQL and MySQL (there are others).  If you tend
to push your hardware limits, I recommend PostgreSQL on FreeBSD over either
database on Linux. (I've tried both databases on Linux and FreeBSD on the
same hardware.  Your Mileage May Vary.)  Privilege administration is easier
in MySQL since it allows the use of wildcards in place of database and table
names.  MySQL, however, does not have a boolean (true/false, yes/no) data
type.

ODBC drivers are available for both PostgreSQL and MySQL.  Using MS Access as
a GUI, client to PostgreSQL or MySQL works very well for applications and
data analysis; but is not a good choice for database server administration.

>     Spreadsheets

Spreadsheet programs include gnumeric, OpenOffice and Kspread.

>     Pkzip

There are various compression utilities.  I actually prefer to use gzip on the
command line in both FreeBSD and Windows.  There is also a GUI gzip for
Windows: wingz.

> I hear a lot about the system being a server, but all I need to do is
> browse the web and use email similar to Netscape.  How easy is it to set
> up?

Install a desktop and run Mozilla, which is at the core of Netscape.  It will
look very familiar.  It includes the browser, email client, etc.

Be Advised:  There is a Supply-Side Economics aspect to FreeBSD.  You may find
that the possibilities increase your "needs".    ;-)

> --
> Douglas L. Love, Database Administrator         dlove@umuc.edu
> UMUC Faculty Recruitment
> SFSC Room 3271F                            Phone: 301 985 7071
> 3501 University Blvd. East                 Fax:   301 985 7075
> Adelphi, MD 20783

Have fun,

Andrew Gould