Date:      Sat, 15 May 2010 17:33:10 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UFS Journaling

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying out gjournal before I implement if on one server. I require more
>than 8 partitions, but since I cannot do this, have 9 partitions on one

You can do this with gpart and a GPT scheme.

>slice, I have created two slices on the disk, da0s1 (100GB) and da0s2
>(40GB). On the first slice, I have my usual partitions. On the second slice,
>I have two partitions, each 20GB (da0s2d and da0s2e) that will be used as
>the journal providers.
>
>I need to journaled two partitions /usr (da0s1f) and /resource (da0s1g). I
>have done the following to get my data providers and journal providers
>
>-- boot into single usermode
>-- unmount /usr and /resource
>-- gjournal load
>-- gjournal label -f da0s1f da0s2d
>-- gjournal label -f da0s1g da0s2e
>-- tunefs -J enable -n disable da0s1f.journal
>-- tunefs -J enable -n disable da0s1g.journal
>-- mount /dev/da0s1f.journal /usr and mount /dev/da0s1g.journal /resource.
>Each mount with -o async
>-- edited fstab to mount the data providers

Er, by the above do you mean "mount the journal devices"? As in,
adding something like:

/dev/da0s1f.journal     /usr            ufs     rw,async      2       2
/dev/da0s1g.journal     /resource            ufs     rw,async      2       2

and eliminating the previously existing entries for /usr and
/resource?  If you have something else involving /usr, /resource, or
any of the providers, that could cause serious problems.

>-- edited loader.conf and added geom_journal_load="YES"
>
>If I enter ctrl+d, I continue to multi usermode with no problem. However, I
>needed to reboot and I get the messages below when it tries to mount the
>partitions:
>
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 3033687591 cannot be completed
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 3033687591 : da0s1f contains data.
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 107992178 cannot be completed
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 107992178 : da0s1g contains data.
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 3033687591 cannot be completed
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 3033687591 : ufsid/4bed9437003f40f4 contains data.
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>Root mount waiting for: GJOURNAL GJOURNAL
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal 3033687591 cannot be completed
>GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 3033687591 : ufsid/4bed9437dfb979f4 contains data.
>
>This goes on and on... I cannot go beyond this point. Did I miss something?

You may want to start from scratch, after having zero'd out the disk,
to eliminate any garbage from previous installations that may confuse
geom.  What kind of a disk is da0?  What kind of bus is it on?

>PS: I started off with a journal provider partition of 5GB and increased all
>the way to 20GB. This was after I googled and read that this error will
>occur if the journal provider size is small. I have attempted this with the
>journal provider partions on the first slice, da0s1 and also on the second
>sloce da0s2. All get me the above error.

Holy mammoth journals, Batman! If you want to be _conservative_, you
should have journals that are about:

2* kern.geom.journal.switch_time * maximum disk throughput per second

That's about

2 * 10s * 200 MB/s

or roughly 3.9GB, and that's for a fast drive, so 20GB is probably
overkill.  You can monitor various useful statistics and settings by
looking at "sysctl kern.geom.journal".  Among other things, those
sysctls can tell you about full journals and cache misses.

b.