Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 18:37:57 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Only a few problems left with installation

    Installed 2.0.5A on a third machine here using the June 6 7:05am
boot floppy.  Lots of little bugs and typos have been fixed, and
hallelujah for having the disk slice and partition help files on the
floppy!  :)

    The timezone determination still isn't happening... 'date' in the
holographic shell shows local time without a timezone (so my BIOS
clock is on local).  I type in local time into the installer and it
somehow decides the BIOS clock is UTC.  :-/  I didn't futz with it,
reasoning that I can always do my timezone properly and set the BIOS
to UTC later.

    I noticed that the NFS filesystem from which I was installing is
mounted twice (at least, it shows up twice in 'df').  Manually
unmounting one of them seems to cause the "NFS busy" error to go away
when rebooting.  Not a fatal problem.

    Biggest problem is still with the disk slice and partitions.  I
decided not to touch any of the slice/partitions from 950412 first.
The partition editor showed one single partition:

 Offset     Size      End   Name   PType   Desc     Subtype   Flags
      0  2109376  2109375   sd0s1      3   freebsd      165   C>

    This is on a Quantum 1080S 1-gig drive.  I went through the
installation, told it not to install a boot manager, and rebooted.
The kernel boot prompt came up successfully (yaay!), but when I hit
Return to load the kernel, I got a "partition is out of reach from
bios" error (boo!).

    I resorted back to fishing out my MS-DOS install disk and
reformatted the disk.  Funny thing is, at first DOS fdisk would only
recognize 17 megabytes as "the whole disk".  After some futzing around
with deleting partitions, rebooting several times, turning the
computer monitor towards Silicon Valley, etc. I was able to create a
single 1029-megabyte DOS partition.

    Back into FreeBSD's partition editor... deleted the FAT partition,
then selected "Use entire disk":

 Offset     Size      End   Name   PType   Desc     Subtype   Flags
      0       34       33   -          6   unused         0
     34  2109326  2109359   sd0s1      3   freebsd      165   C
2109360       16  2109375   -          5   unused         0

    Selected the FreeBSD slice and hitting 'S' to make it bootable
puts an addition 'A' beside the C flag.  I didn't try booting without
the 'A' flag and without a boot manager, but if that combination
doesn't work, perhaps the installer should warn the user, or make a
single-slice FreeBSD setup automatically startable.  The help file
didn't seem to emphasize that part enough.

    Went through the installation again (5 minutes for bindist and
MAKEDEV, nice!).  Noticed that the installer says something about
"recovering" or "rescuing" disk slice devices (which relates to my
other inquiry about the "sd*" target in MAKEDEV)... skipped the
timezone and other post-install stuff and rebooted.  Kernel prompt
came up, kernel loaded up fine this time, installed my template /etc
files from another 2.0.5 machine, installed a new kernel and rebooted
again.  Relatively painless this time around, so I'm looking forward
to the next set of floppies (and hope they will be the next-to-last
before release).
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org