Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 05:05:40 +0200
From:      Rocco Lucia <rlucia@iscanet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pppoe and mpd-netgraph odd behavior

Hello,
  I'm running two machines with adsl connection, both
with an Alcatel modem (I don't think it matters but...),
one of them is using ng_pppoe (userland ppp), the other
is running ng_ppptpgre (mpd-netgraph port). Both boxes
are in service with adsl since Mar2000 with no troubles
at all.

  The machines ran like a charm until ~Feb2001 (I update
these boxes once per month). After that date it happens that
both machines loose connection (pppoe or pptp), daemons
reauthenticate, succeed ip/dns negotiation (IPCP goes through)
and after then nothing seems to be received via tunnel or ng
interfaces (tcpdump shows data getting out of the interfaces,
but nothing is received). The real bad point is that this
happen after 10-15 days or more that I start the daemon.

  After it breaks, killing and restarting ppp or mpd doesn't
help, so I can only reboot the machine. ngctl shows nothing
strange, nor kernel messages are issued.

  I am going to downgrade to 4.2-R the machine with mpd
netgraph, and continue tracking -STABLE on the pppoe one so
I can gather more data as things happen.

Anyone into this?

--
Rocco Lucia - rlucia@iscanet.com      Iscanet Internet Services
http://elisa.utopianet.net/~rlucia    System and Network Admin

Free unices for a free world. Support *BSD.