Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 19:05:08 -0400
From:      "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@smxy.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   X configuration for laptop

I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a laptop, for the first time.
The OS install went fine. But I don't know what to do to configure X.

It's an almost 4 year old "Dell Lattitude CPx J750GT". The video
controller is an "ATI M1", with 8 MB of memory. Looking up my spcific
system on the Dell support site, it's display is described as an "Liquid
Crystal Display, TFT, 14.1, CRNA, Samsung", Dell part# 4564E.

I skipped X configuration, during the install. As root, I ran "XFree86
-configure" to generate a config file, and tested it with "XFree86
-xf86config XF86Config.new", which worked just as the handbook said it
should. I do not know what values to use to set the HorizSync,
VertRefresh, Depth or Modes.

I did try running "/stand/sysinstall" and going to the X setup section.
Trying the graphical setup causes the system to lock up. I have
previously run Red Hat 9 on this system and X worked ok on it, right up
until I erased it yesterday, so I believe there are no hardware issues.
I suppose I should have looked at it's X settings, but I neglected to do
so before blowing it away ...

	-ste