Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:08:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two FreeBSDs on same disk, booting secondary slice?

On 11-Nov-01 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>> No, neither did I experience this just like David never did. :)  You
>> might be tricked into thinking this when sysinstall's disk editor
>> prevents you from creating two root partitions.
>
> sysinstall wasn't a problem, see below.
>
>> I can understand your reasons (self chosen labels, additional
>> parameters - for those kernels to understand them - plus boot
>> menus with cursor navigation and maybe even graphics screens if
>> you feel like it).
>
> My main point is that I can have lilo always boot the same partition
> as default. And of course, that I can use it to boot Linux.

boot0 can boot Linux, but it is the 'same by default' problem that is
killing you here.  If you used that feature with boot0, this would
break as well.  The problem is that when boot1 is loaded, it has no
idea where it was loaded from, so it has to have a way of finding the
slice it came from.  As I explained earlier, we use the active slice
over other slices to help in the case of multiple FreeBSD slices.
However, LILO and boot0 both use the active slice as their default
slice, so for the default slice to always be the same, it has to not
change the active slice in teh MBR when it boots.  Thus the bootblocks
have no way of knowing which slice was booted.  If you turn off the
'same by default' feature then this will work fine.   If you know
Forth, you can write a Forth function and put it in /boot/loader.rc
that does the work of switching to the 44 slice and call it boot44 or
some such to make this easier.  The other question is why you are
putting 4.3 and 4.4 on separate slices.  Why not just go with 4.4?
That's about like trying to run Windows 95 and Windows 98 on the
system in two different partitions.