Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:08:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Linux threading model

HI and thanks for the pointers.

it's interesting that the features that they talk about
as being difficult and 'required' generally just "fall out" of the
KSE implimentation. A lot of the shortcomings of M:N that they
quote don't apply to the KSE schemes either..

for example:

They talk a lot about making signals per-process (uber-process that is).
Signals in KSE are automatically per process.
They talk of the difficulty of making SIGSTOP work, and are very
very proud that they have it working over the entire
uber-process, yet KSE has had this working since the
very first test program.  I still think they are dressing up a Bull
to make it fit in in the chicken coop.

The sad thing is that we'll have to implement their kernel side stuff
for binary compatibility, so we'll have chickens AND a bull dressed
like a bunch of chickens.  Market share has it's advantages.
Of course We can emulate them but they'll never be able to emulate us.
You can make a bunch of chickens look like anything a bull dressed as
a bunch of chickens can look like, but the converse is not true without
killing the bull.

 :-)

Hell, if we've really screwed up, hey there's always 4.7 as a base :-)

What they have decided to do is not a stupid move. But I disagree with
some of their assertions. I first heard that method of doing threads
expounded by Kirk in the BSD4.4 internals class in 1992 (or was that
91?). It sounded feasible then and it is stiff feasible. In fact
 I remember discussing it with Linus once a long time ago at a USENIX
forum. (before he became hard to find under the crowds).
I just happen to think that what we have will be very sweet when you see
it working.