Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:18:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/doc/handbook/* updated with cvs?

[not sure whether I should be cc to both of you. I'm happy to read the
reply sent to -questions only]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Wed 2000-07-26 (07:34), Simon J Mudd wrote:
> > > /usr/share/doc/handbook doesn't get updated, either by cvsup or a
> > > buildworld.
> >
> > Presumably this is true of some/all documentation supplied in FreeBSD?
>
> Only the stuff in the FreeBSD Documentation Project.  This doesn't
> include the papers, usd, psd, and other bits there, but does include the
> handbook, the FAQ, the FreeBSD Documentation Project primer, and various
> articles.
>
> > > You need to cvsup doc-all (with tag=., NOT tag=RELENG_4),
> > > and do a 'make all install' in /usr/doc for that.
> >
> > I guess you mean
> >
> > 	'make all install' in /usr/src/share/doc?
>
> No, he means in /usr/doc.  /usr/doc is checked out when you cvsup
> doc-all (see /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile).

Ok.  Therefore I assume the make all install builds the final
documentation back into /usr/share/doc/ where I originally found it?

> > Is there some reason that this is not specified/mentioned anywhere as
> > the handbook is a good attempt to give good documentation for FreeBSD and
> > any updates would be useful.
> >
> > I was specifically looking for:
> > - trying to see why the boot loader failed with a "BTX error" (from
> >   memory), something fixed with 'make installkernel installworld' but
> >   which didn't seem to work correctly just doing a make install from
> >   /usr/src/sys/compile/<mykernel>.
>
> Read UPDATING, like you're supposed to.  It explains that this is a
> problem.

Yes, I found out the solution, and am subscribed to -stable (and
-current), the version of the handbook I was using as reference was out of
date.

> > The answers in 4.0's handbook are out of date/wrong.  I was not sure who
> > to contact to get the right answer, or who to contact to update the
> > handbook with the right answers assuming I can find them.  I _am_ a
> > relative newbie to FreeBSD, though I have used other versions of unix,
> > mainly linux for several years.
>
> By 4.0 we probably had the nice "If you have questions, ask
> questions@FreeBSD.org.  If you have comments about this document, ask
> doc@FreeBSD.org" footer in place.  If not, it'll appear soon.

Ok.  I think that the handbook I printed may have been from
3.3? (Unfortunately there's no date shown on the handbook to relate to the
date it was built or the version of FreeBSD that was
release/current/stable at the time (I know this changes daily, but it
would be a useful feature).

> You can send doc fixes, just like ports and system fixes, using send-pr.

This assumes a familiarity with FreeBSD which obviously I currently lack.

> You can also mail concerns to doc@FreeBSD.org, like it states at the top
> of the handbook front page.

Maybe I'll have to subscribe to the list and do this.

> > The handbook and other documentation is good, but shouldn't the documentation
> > come with the system (?).
>
> They do come with the system when you install them.  However, we can't
> expect everyone to install the tools necessary to build it, so they can
> either install them, or pick up updated copies from the location given
> at the top of the handbook's front page.  It is in convenient package or
> tarball form, and in PDF, PostScript, RTF, HTML, and a few other
> formats.

Again this shows that the version I've been using is out of date (as it
doesn't give this information, certainly not at the front).

In any case I appreciate you taking the time to reply.  I'm beginning to
get the ropes, but possibly like others who come from other platforms the
obvious is not so obvious if you are used to doing things
differently.  Adjusting takes time.

Thanks and regards,

Simon
--