Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:49:16 -1000
From:      Kent Hauser <kent.hauser@verizon.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (g)cc and /usr/local

Not the case -- at least on SunOS 3.x & 4.x (the CSRG based versions).
On those machines, /bin/cc looked in /usr/local/{include,lib} first -- just
like gcc did.

Solaris (aka SunOS 5+) is a SVR5 system which had an optional compiler.
I don't recall what happened when the vendor compiler was installed -- I
always used gcc.