Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:33:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      der_julian@web.de
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Need ALSA [was: Re: MIDI on SB Live! ?]

Hello,

> Having a port of ALSA would sure round out 5.2 nicely, and would get you
> MIDI support: http://www.alsa-project.org/

Quote from this page:

"Known bugs

- MIDI on SB live drive not working properly."

Seems MIDI is not a great priority anymore. But I would certainly greet a
new sound architecture. Broken MIDI is at least better than no MIDI. ;)

[porting]
> I'd certainly be more than willing to throw some money into a paypal
> account or whatever, and I think there are others who would too.  OSS is
> so 20th century, lets get FreeBSD into 21st century sound architecture
> design.  :-)

I would have no objections.

> If you're a developer seriously interested in this, lets talk.  So much
> of FreeBSD development is sponsored by Universities and whatnot that we
> take it for granted.  When stuff like ALSA doesn't get ported right
> away, I feel we need to realize our responsibility to contribute to the
> project as well.

Uh... Ok, I have C experience, but my insight into FreeBSD and sound card
programming (I remember some experiments with soundblasters in DOS times) is
quite limited.

Regards,
Julian Stecklina