Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:13:11 -0400
From:      ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        User Tomdean <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DMS limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable error msg

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
User Tomdean <tomdean@speakeasy.org> wrote:

> Do you have an 80-wire cable with a 40-pin connector on it?  A
> 40-wire, 40-pin connector cable is 33

 No, it's a plain jane 40-pin cable. I guess I should have researched
things before I bought this new spiffy drive.

 But the drive does work -- I just can't get it to dump data to the cd-rom
burner.

 The line from dmesg indicates the IDE controller only support ATA

atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller>

 Another person responded that there are some cheap Promise ATA66
Controllers I can plug in. Would that be a good solution?

 Funny thing is, the back of the drive fits a 40-pin cable just fine. I'm
always using the 'older' stuff so I don't even know what the ATA66 cables
look like.

 BTW: The new drive is a Maxtor 4D040H2 [79408/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2

 I guess I should look up the stats for the drive as well.

-gf