Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:35:17 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Could someone take a look at a small patch to gmirror ?

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 04:59:09PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> Hi, I was told on -stable that I might get more luck here regarding a
> patch I wrote to gmirror a while ago. It simply adds a new balacing
> algorithm called 'prefer-low' which does the reverse to 'prefer' - i.e.
> will always read from the disc with the lowest priority, not the highest.
> I also moved the default priority to the centre of the range, so that dri=
ves
> can be added to a mirror with a lower or higher priority than the origina=
l.
>=20
> I submitted this as PR in May here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D123630
>=20
> I have been using this patch live on our database servers since then
> and it works fine. I have stress tested it as much as I can, and was hopi=
ng
> that someone else might like to take a look, give a bit of testing and
> commit it. The patch includes manpage changes as well as code changes,
> it was written relative to stable at the time, but patches against 7.1
> prerelease cleanly as well. I was hopinh it might make it into 7.1, but
> maybe it is a bit too late for that.
>=20
> Anyway, I hope someone can take a look

The possibility of setting priority only on insert time is a bit
limiting (and mentioned in BUGS section in gmirror(8)), but I think the
better way to do it is to just extend configure subcommand to allow
priority change, eg.

	# gmirror label foo da0 da1
	# gmirror configure -p 7 foo da1

We could also add -p option to label subcommand to define starting
priority, but I'm not sure about that one.

Would you like to work on such a patch maybe?

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--