Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Upgrading and "Unknown pseudo op: .section"

-current didn't seem to be the place for this...

The Makefile in the current source tree says `make aout-to-elf-build' and
`make aout-to-elf-install' should upgrade my 2.2-STABLE system from
-current sources. I supped -current yesterday.

Back in July Doug White reported getting the same thing that I got while
trying to build -current on a -stable system. The "Unknown pseudo op:
.section" errors from the assembler:

	{standard input}: Assembler messages:
	{standard input}:73: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:  `.section'
	*** Error code 1

The -current archives reported that using "make -m /usr/src/share/mk
buildworld" will fix this error.

I tried "make -m /usr/src/share/mk aout-to-elf-build" to do the upgrade. I
tried "make -m /usr/src/share/mk buildworld" to see if I could just get
the darn thing to build. Same error all three times.

So...

Are the instructions in /usr/src/Makefile wrong?
Is the Makefile(s) itself broke?
Is the user missing the big picture?

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/