Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:46:49 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking Diagram

On 1/12/00, 6:29:52 PM, "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net> wrote
regarding Networking Diagram:

> Still trying to learning & swearing :-))

> So this newbie reads posts about:

> ipfw | inetd | named | ifconfig | natd | bind | routed .... ad nauseum=

> and the applicable:

> rc.conf | resolv.conf | etc | etc | etc ..... ad multum nauseum

> It's been said ... even before the computer age ;^) ... that a picture=

(diagram)
> is worth a 1000 words.

> Do any of you "networking literate" guys know of a web resource that
would put
> all of the above in a diagram form, explaining *when* to use *what*
and
> *how* ----> under *various* (read most probable/common) scenarios -
e.g., a
> firewall/gateway box w/ a single FBSD W/S hung off of it; ditto, but
with a
> single win9x W/S; a single FBSD box working as a W/S -- is there a way=

> protect *it*? .

> Let me put it this way:

> It's difficult to learn how to play soccer if the student has never
*seen* a
> soccer field, its layout and paraphenalia. Advanced soccer theory will=

be
> meaningless unless and until the student is introduced to the "big
picture".

> So, in your experience and web "travels", does such a learning
resource exist
> with respect to various BSD OSs that use the above tools?

> I have already found a great resource on Ethernet hardware -- it's
invention and
> function. It, of course, only "zooms-in" on the above-mentioned
"big-picture".
> Very useful, though! I realize that there are plenty of books out
there -- not
> what *I need* at the moment. TIA....

> -duke

Dear Duke,

as you can see, people often ask questions *without* even browsing the
freebsd site, trying "man name_of_the_thing" etc.

Some of them don't even bother to read Grog's excellent FreeBSD Guide.
BTW, I have seldom seen a more useful and pleasant book ;-)

However, sometimes, the available resources *are* incomplete or
insufficient; which requires a little "trial and error" and "asking
the -questions list" :-)

In those cases, some more "plain docs" would help -- not only newbies.
Also, keep in mind that certain "answers" can be found in more
specific books (e.g. there's a ~ 1,000-page book on sendmail, as I
recall) ...

Some of those books just *must* be bought -- sooner or later.
Therefore, the "plain docs" must be written "cum grano salis", in
order not to produce unnecessary overlapping etc.

AFAICS, the documentation (e.g. the handbook) is getting better and
better ...

As to "ad nauseum", hmmm, wasn't it "ad nauseam" ?
(D***ed typo, it *ALWAYS* occurs when one is quoting from Latin :-))

N.B. absit iniuria verbis :-)))
(gosh, another piece of "latinorum" LOL)

Please note: myjokingdomain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

  * Windows: brain-dead limits  *
  * BeOS: limited apps          *
  * Linux: unlimited (mindset)  *
  * FreeBSD: no limits          *