Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:32:14 -0400
From:      Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>
To:        Zak Johnson <zakj@nox.cx>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL vs. -lmd

On August 4, 2002 11:19 pm, Zak Johnson wrote:
| On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 12:35:19AM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
| > And an easy question to answer. Many, many people would love this. Al=
| > it takes is someone or group of developers to DO IT rather than just
| > ramble on and on about how nice it would be to have and eventually
| > descend to the bikeshed about what should be a package and what shoul=
| > be "core."
|
| Fair enough.  I was wondering why some developer or group of developers
| have not yet undertaken to do it.  I am interested enough to devote som=
| time to it myself.  I imagine, however, that it would go a bit faster
| with someone more familiar with the current packaging system than I am
| to take the lead.  Is anyone else following this discussion and
| interested in actually contributing to such an effort?

It is being worked on.  I'm tinking around with a new package format (see
gigantic thread last month), which includes support for "base packages".
I've been somewhat sidetracked lately as I look for work and enjoy the su=
mmer=20
months, but I hope to have an XML DTD sheet which describes the meta
deta ready to be critized "soon".

-Dan