Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:35:40 -0600
From:      "Morris Allen" <mallen@vidnet.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Upstream Access

Hi:

	I have been using FreeBSD for 3 years now.  I just installed the new
version of 3.0.  The question I have has to do with security access:

As in Novel when you set the security attributes, the user can view and work
from his directory down. But he/she can not move upstream to look into
directories above his or hers.

Can this be done with FreeBSD?  If so what is the command and could you give
me instructions on how to do it.  My problem is,  my users are going into
other users directories.  I have the attributes setup so they can not write
or erase, but they are playing in system areas as well as other areas that
they do not need access to even view.  So in other words,  I want them to be
able to get into their homepage files and to have the ability to have their
files viewed from the net, but I want them contained into their
/home/directory and not able to snoop, in directories above theirs.  Advance
warning,  I am still a novice in the great world of FreeBSD.

thanks
Morris Allen