Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:14:33 -0800
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, zhang <zhhw210095@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: update problems

> Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:25:38 -0500
> From: Chuck Teal <chuck.teal@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: update problems
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> On Wednesday February 8 2006 10:40, Iantcho Vassilev wrote:
> > If you haven`t delete the megremaster store directory(usually /var/....)
> > just rerun it. - mergemaster
> > and ask all the quesions by hand
> >
> > But first i would suggest to find the problem
> >
> > On 2/8/06, zhang <zhhw210095@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've just update to 6.1-PRERELEASE from 6.0. Before I mergemaster -cv ,
> > > the system could work well . But when I mergemaster , I don't check the
> > > differents carefully and choose the " i " option directly most of the
> > > time . Now , all the network programmes can't work , I can't ping
> > > localhost/127.0.0.1 , I can't use " tcpdump " , the c/s kinds like
> > > xserver also go bad ; when the system start , many warnings such as
> > > "...see rc.conf(5)" after dmesg messages.
> > > How can I deal with it ?
> > > Thanks!
>
> I had a similar problem just yesterday.  Running mergemaster again did not fix
> the issue.
>
> In my situation I messed up the /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  It gave me several
> error messages on boot up similar to yours.  I just copied the rc.conf from
> the examples directory and replaced the rc.conf in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> Then I did a:
>
> shutdown now
> exit
>
> It was working okay when I left this morning.
>
> I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.  I just know it seems to have
> solved my problem.  I would keep a backup of the original file somewhere in
> case you need to revert back to the original.

chuck.teal@yahoo.com's advice is too narrow, IMO.  The best practice I know
is to back up the entire /etc directory tree before running mergemaster:

rm -rf /etc.old
cp -RLp /etc /etc.old
mergemaster -v

Then, if something goes wrong in mergemaster, you can just restore the
backup and re-run mergemaster.

Jim