Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:13:04 -0500
From:      Brad Watts <bwatts@corp.attcanada.ca>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Xwrapper Problem - Not able to log in due to corrupt /usr partiti on

Hi there,

I have recently ufs mounted a new disk to my machine and ran dump, restore
in the following fashion:

mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt
dump 0af - /usr |(cd /mnt/usr;restore xf -)

I edited /etc/fstab and changed the original /usr partition to point to my
newly imaged disk. After rebooting, I am unable to login through the
Xwrapper I installed. All users (even root) are listed in .Xauthority to
point to Window Maker. There is obviously something wrong with Window Maker
(the soft link to etc....) and as such I am unable to login. After entering
a correct user name and password at the Xwrapper prompt, the screen flickers
a bit and then goes back to a login prompt. My system is able to identify
invalid users / passwords. All I want to do is get a shell prompt so that I
can re-edit /etc/fstab and point the /usr partition to my original disk,
which was left untouched. What can I do?? Ahhh....
ahhhh                                                           ahh
ah                                                       I'm screwed!!!!!!

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
Brad Watts
Systems Analyst
AT&T Canada