Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:51:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: offtopic-maybe

Lefteris Tsintjelis said:

> An even better aproach would be to simply redirect with ipfw port 80
> requests to squid (tranparent proxy). Works great and u don't have to
> reconfigure any clients at all. However, u can monitor and control only
> http traffic or maybe even ftp but still all other traffic (ie irc)
> passes undetected.

there are some handy tools that come with dsniff that allow easy reading
of irc traffic(and some other messaging protocols), it even formats
it out sorta like ircii (nicks and everything), urlsnarf works good for
just logging all the urls, then there is mesgsnarf to grab email(though
I never got this one working). all part of the dsniff package(not sure
if freebsd has it in a single package or different ones).

I usually use these on a bridged freebsd system inbetween the router
and the switch.

nate