Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:04:32 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        sue@welearn.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login_getclass unknown class

[ cc'd to -questions and -newbies again for more input. Also cc'd to
  -doc, since this is a documentation issue. Reply-to set to -doc,
  since that's *probably* the right place for this discussion. ]

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 08:31:42PM -0300, Capriotti wrote:
> Also, maybe there could have a "Search" or "answers" button on
> www.freebsd.org. That catches the eye and, also IMHO, works better than
> "Support".

There is. It's obviously not big enough :-) (it's three buttons along
from the "Support" button).

I've just had a look at the "Support" page. Hmm. IMHO, one of the first
things that should say is something like

    All the FreeBSD mailing list messages and newsgroup postings are
    archived and can be searched.

    This should be your first port of call if you have a problem or
    question, because it is likely that someone else has had the
    same problem.

    Please be aware that every member of the mailing lists is a
    volunteer, and if your question has been asked (and answered) a lot
    they may be bored of answering it. It's in everyone's best interests
    if you search before posting.

and then a link to the search page.

And then the search page should have a "Tips for effective searching"
link at the top, probably something like:

    Finding information in the FreeBSD archives can be a fine art,
    the mastery of which can make your life much easier.

    Please see these _tips for effective searching_ for more information.

"Tips for effective searching" then looks something like

    Error messages

        If you are having a problem that is generating a specific error
        message, try searching for the error message.