Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:39:53 -0500
From:      Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: webpages and CVS - what about CVS/Root etc?

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:53:22PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> I know you're out there.  You're using cvs to store your webpages.  How
> do you publish the pages?  Via "cvs update" directly into the document
> root of the website?  If so, what are you doing about files which you may
> not want people to see, such as CVS/Entries?

CVSup is your friend.  Many gazillions of thanks to John Polstra
and everyone else that made it possible.  Up until very recently
I had a handful of sites load balanced across 4 servers that were
CVSup'ing from a master server that would rebuild the websites
every ten minutes from CVS.  The whole process is "relatively atomic"
and in my case with a handful of sites and several thousands of files
over local LAN the updates were taking only a few seconds to
complete at most.

The process went basically like this.  On the master a cronjob
ran at 5, 15, 25, 35, ... past each hour that did this.

cvs co -rSTABLE
make install

And on each of the load-balanced servers another cronjob ran at
0, 10, 20, 30, ... past each hour that did this.

cvsup supfile

Also once a day I'd remove the tree on the master before doing a
'make install' so that any crufty files were removed.  No doubt
there's a better way but this worked flawlessly for me for a little
over a year.

-steve