Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:48:13 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Abbas Karbassian x7148 <Abbas.Karbassian@cambridge.simoco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd3.1 failes to boot up

Hi Abbas,

You have me confused. Are you actually running 3.1 or trying to install
it. If you are trying to install it, you didn't do your homework. Read
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html because it tells you that
two floppies are required because the boot is too large. Download the
files, follow the instructions, and it should work better next time.
BTW, I did an install from a Win98 Startup disk the first time and have
since created boot floppies using dd to write them from FreeBSD.

If you are running 3.1 and are having problems, then you need to tells
us what is wrong and someone will help you.

BTW, I have a BX6r2 board but it is one of my Windows NT systems with a
P-II 400 for a cpu. In a pure computation mode the P-II and PC100Mhz
memory can be significantly faster than the Celeron 433 system using
PC66 memory. I see the 50% difference in memory speed. A work unit from
Seti@Home requires 50% longer on the Celeron than it does on the BX6r2
system.

Good luck,

Kent

Abbas Karbassian x7148 wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am using freebsd3.1.
>
> I have craeted a boot floppy under dos or windows 98.
>
> Using the following commands:
>
> D:
>
> tools\rawrite floppies\boot.flp
>
> when the boot floppy created, the message was displayed:
> "one bad sector"
>
> I used another floppy disk and the same thing happed again.
>
> Then I used the created boot floppy to boot up my pc to freebsd.
>
> Following messages are appeared on monitor and pc failed to boot up
> in to Freebsd.
>
> Here is the follwing messages.
>
> Verifying DMI Pool Data ....
> BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.00
> Console: Internal video/keyboard
> Bios drive A: is disk0
> Bios drive C: is disk1
>
> FreeBSD/I386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.5 639/65472KB
> (jkh@time.cdrom.com Mon Feb 15 13:26:18 GMT 1999)
> Hit[Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting[kernel]...
>
> /kernel text=0x18be72 data=0x2eb35c + 0x1dcc0 zf_read:fill error
>
> elf_loadexec:archsw.readin failed
> Can not load "kernel"
>
> Type "?" for a list of command, "help" for more detail help
>
> disk0s4a>
>
> My machine is consist of Abit BX6(rev2 ) Mother board.
> Intel Celeron 400 Slot 1 CPU
> IBM 16.8 GIG H/D
>
> I would be grateful if you could help.
>
> Regards
>
> Abbas

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html