Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:46:32 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Santos <casd@myrealbox.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this still actual?

At 4:44 PM +0100 2002/08/27, Santos wrote:

>  http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1148/sam0107a/0107a.htm and
>  http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1147/sam0108q/0108q.htm
>
>  Even with FreeBSD tuned, it only has similar performance comparing to
>  the others untuned OSes, including Windows 2000! I thought FreeBSD was
>  the fastest on x86. They used their MailEngine software but still..

	Their MailEngine software is basically spamware.  It doesn't care
if any mail gets lost, etc....  Moreover, the idiots who wrote the
article knew absolutely nothing about configuring and tuning FreeBSD
and were simply trying to demonstrate their "superior" spamware on
"superior" spamware platforms (e.g., Linux and Windows 2000).

	There was a long and very nasty discussion on this topic, and a
mailing list was actually set up.  I gave Amber Ankerholz holy hell
over the incredibly poor standards of journalism that she
demonstrated in this case, and her response was that they could only
publish what they got.

	I since offered to write three different articles for them, and
unfortunately it takes several months turn-around time to get a
response from Joe Casad, the technical editor.

	Moreover, you basically already have to have a complete article
written to their standards, without any editorial assistance
whatsoever.

	Worst of all, you have to have it to their time-table -- so, when
you haven't heard from Joe in three months and then he suddenly pops
up and says that he expects you have to have the final copy of your
article ready in two weeks, that's your only window.

>  Maybe using a diferent MTA would show other favorably results?

	These people are a waste of carbon.  Don't waste your time
worrying about them.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>