Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2000 05:28:35 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passwording boot loader.

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> There appears to be some code in the /boot/support.4th file to force
> the user to enter a password at kernel load time.  Does anyone know
> enough forth to tell me how to activate it?
>
> I've got Sony picking up my laptop any minute now and I want to
> disable FreeBSD :(

Err... not really. That stuff, which should have been taken out and shot
long ago (but I still haven't committed the support that is needed to
implement it outside support.4th code -- though I already have it in my
tree), prevents users from entering interactive mode on loader.

Instead, try this... Insert as the top of /boot/loader.rc the following
lines:

: loop begin 0 until ;
loop

This will put the loader in an infinite loop, thereby preventing anyone
from doing anything (or it from booting).

When you get your laptop back (and before doing the above, as a test :),
interrupt the *second* stage boot loader (right when "|" shows up) and
boot the kernel directly, instead of calling loader. Then fix
/boot/loader.rc, and all is fine.

Additionally, you might want to insert at the very top of your loader.rc
the following:

.( Please press control-alt-del to reboot and then press F1 to boot
Windows)

If Windows is F2, modify accordingly. :-)

Pay attention to the spaces in all this stuff. They matter.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

dcs@newsguy.com
dcs@freebsd.org
capo@yet.another.bsdconspiracy.org

	Hmmm - I have to go check this. My reality assumptions are shattered.