Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:25:01 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        Stefan Veith <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>, "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ed0 vs ed1

Doug White spake unto us thusly:

ed0 is reserved for the ISA driver in the GENERIC kernel. ed1 and up is
for PCI NE2000s.

I find it *very* difficult to believe you are correct in this.  ed0/ed1
are specifically reserved for SMC80xx (as well as others) NIC's.  The
SMC80xx (we use the 8013's, as does about 1/3rd of the planet who bought
em years and years ago...) are *only* available as ISA cars (AFAIK)...

What if I want 2 of these NICS in 1 machine?  Your assertion would tend
to indicate that I would be unable to do this, as I would have to have
ed1 filled by a non-ISA NIC.

Thoughts, comments, corrections, advice???

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org