Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Dan Naumov" <dnaumov@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/37420: Copying large files from an IDE CD-ROM to a harddrive causes a s

The following reply was made to PR i386/37420; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dan Naumov" <dnaumov@hotmail.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:54:31 +0300

 I decided to post a follow up to my bug-report seeing as I've managed to fix
 this problem. Apparently, PIO4 seems somehow broken with my chipset. Some
 folks on OPN #freebsd suggested me to look into the "atacontrol" utility and
 after switching the transfer mode on the 2nd controller from PIO4 (default)
 to UDMA33 solved all stability issues.

 I havent't done any *EXTENSIVE* testing, but so far, it definately looks
 much better. The problem used to cause a system lockup every single time I
 would attempt copying files off the CD-ROM, now I've transferred 3 600+ MB
 files without a problem. The following is now in my rc.local:

 #!/bin/sh
 /sbin/atacontrol mode 1 udma2 udma2

 What I am wondering about, is what actually causes this particular problem
 with FreeBSD. I used this drive in Win2000, WinXP and Linux, which by
 default, use PIO without any problems. However, PIO mode apparently causes
 problems with FreeBSD. Is it something that I can expect to be fixed in the
 future FBSD releases or is using atacontrol to changing transfer modes the
 only possible workaround ?

 Sincerely,
 Dan Naumov aka Jago