Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 22:44:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        RYAN DARBY <DARBY1@X400.telkom400.inca.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot find root image when installing FreeBSD

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, RYAN DARBY wrote:

> Thank you very much for your help with my query as to how to remove the boot man
> ager from my failed instalation of FreeBSD 2.0.5.  I removed it sucessfully.
> I also found that my disk geometry was wrong, and have reset it.

What happened was that FreeBSD's geometry reading was wrong.  Try making a
small DOS partition on that disk, then delete it when you go into the
fdisk editor during sysinstall.

> However,
> although the instalation appears to work, it gets to when the root image
> is looked for.  I have an IDE CD-ROM, and am thus installing off my first
> drive, which is MSDOS.  Both disk drives are IDE.  The install program
> looks at the first drive partition, says it cannot find anything and then
> tries the floppy.

Hm.  You said you were on 2.0.5?  Have you tried 2.1.0, which includes
ATAPI support?  Your CD may be detected, and that would make things sooo
much easer.  Or wait some time for the 2.1.5 CDs to be pressed, and then
buy and try that.

I have copied accross the Z:\DISTS/BIN directory and
> the Z:\FLOPPIES directory to c:\FREEBSD.  I also made, using the make a floppy
> batch program on the CDROM a boot floppy with root.flp and boot.flp on it.
> This does not seem acceptable.  When I exit and look at what I presume is
> the debugger has left on the screen, I see a message like the files on the
> floppy were not gzip format.

Hm.  That would indicate some sort of corruption or missing files.  Your
DOS partition may be a situation where the MSDOSFS code can get confused.

> Otherwise, the booteasy works, but when I select the FREEBSD drive, it just
> gives me a boot prompt.  Here, as you advised I enter wd(1,a)/kernel.  This
> is not found, and another prompt comes up.

Try just hitting <enter> there, taking the default, and see what you get.
Of course it won't boot unless you can get the installation to finish.

> I am presuming that it does not work as when the installation could not find
> what it wanted it stopped, and the missing root contained the kernel?
> Is it at all possible to advise me as to how I can fix this?  I am new to
> Freebsd/UNIX, and would be most grateful for all your help.  There is a root/boo
> t floppy mentioned in the on cd documentation, but I only have two cdroms, the
> installation one and a live file system.

Hm.  I wonder if you can try using the 2.1 or 2.1.5 boot floppies to
install 2.0.5.  Then you could get your CD supported.